Lagos Third Mainland Bridge Is Safe – FG

0
41

The federal government has declared that the third mainland bridge in Lagos State is okay and safe for vehicular movements and other road users.

The government in a statement on Tuesday urged members of the public to ignore rumours that the bridge is shaking and has opened up.

The position follows an earlier social media post on Monday by an individual which warned Lagosians to stay off the third mainland bridge because it has opened up and could result in a major disaster.

However, reacting in a statement signed by the Director Press & Public Relations, Federal Ministry of Works and Housing, Abuja, Boade Akinola, the federal government has stated that there is no truth in the social media post.

The statement said the federal controller of works in Lagos, Olukayode Popoola drove on the bridge to ascertain the real position of things and didn’t notice any shaking.

The 11.8km bridge is the longest of the three bridges connecting Lagos Island to the Mainland has now been declared totally safe for use.

The statement reads: “The Federal Controller of Works in Lagos, Engineer Olukayode Popoola, has debunked insinuations making the rounds in the social media that the Third Mainland Bridge in Lagos has “opened up” and “shaking” and, therefore, unsafe to traffic saying the claim was both false and unfounded.

“Giving an on-the-spot report on the Bridge, the Controller, who said he just drove along the Bridge without noticing any opening or experiencing any shaking as contained in the social media report, advised members of the public, especially commuters, to ignore the insinuations as the Bridge, which is receiving regular attention along with others across the country, is safe for use.”

It will be recalled that for several months last year, and entering into the year 2021, the government shut down the bridge to conduct rehabilitation works which included expansion joint repairs.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here